Monday, April 27, 2009

Last Month or So



Wow, these last couple of weeks have been unbelievable. I've missed 6 days of school, tried out for 3 different US national teams, met ton's of new people, and have traveled countless hours. I have paddled three different boats in 5 different races. I'm proud to say I am now a member of the 2009 USA Jr Wildwater, 2009 USA Jr Whitewater Slalom, and 2009 USA Jr Flatwater Sprint national teams. First I'd like to say congrats to everyone who has qualified to be on one of these teams. And of course thanks Mom and Dad for putting up with this absurd amount of traveling and paddling. 

This is now my third year on the US Junior Wildwater. This summer I'll be racing for the US in the 2009 Junior ICF Wildwater World Championships in Stans Switzerland. I raced last summer for the US in the Pre-world Championships, and placed 4th in the sprint and 6th in the classic. My goal for this summer is top 9. I placed 1st at the East Coast Junior Team Trials. This is also my last Junior Wildwater World Championships before I age out. 


My slalom career really started last August. I paddled hard all winter and trained with great athletes and coaches to prepare myself for the US Junior Team Trials in North Carolina. I was lucky enough to paddle with Senior National team members as well as Olympians. I finished 3rd. Racing against the best juniors in the country was an awesome experience. 


Washington Canoe Club is a great resource, and I am lucky to live 10 minutes away from this amazing club. Every morning a wake up at 5:35 and make my way down to Georgetown. At 6:15 I put on with a handful of other paddlers and one coach. I usually try 
to get in a good weights workout between the paddle and school. This routine has put me in excellent shape for the USA Flatwater Sprint Trials last weekend in Chula Vista. I placed 5th overall in the K1 500 meter event and 6th overall in the K1 1000 meter event.



Photos by Michael Thompson.
Ill update this again soon, with flatwater pictures. The Cheat Race is this weekend. Wish me luck. 
-Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment